For demolition projects, it is critical to choose an experienced and reputable asbestos surveyor to ensure that all asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) are identified and handled properly. Asbestos is a hazardous material that is known to cause lung cancer. And, in the SF Bay Area, the asbestos survey is required to get a J# permit, the official document from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQM) that is needed to get an approval for demolition.
Here are 10 tips on how to choose an asbestos surveyor to get a J# permit for a demolition project:
1. Look for a surveyor with extensive experience in conducting asbestos surveys for residential and commercial demolition projects in the SF Bay Area and throughout California.
2. Check if the surveyor is licensed and accredited to conduct asbestos surveys in the Bay Area. For example, Asbestos Consultants and Site Surveillance Technicians must be certified by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
3. Confirm their insurance coverage and liability protection for conducting surveys for demolition projects. This is important to make sure you aren’t going to liable for any accidents or problems that occur during the project.
4. Ask about their testing and sampling procedures for identifying asbestos-containing materials in buildings. Environmental testing and consulting companies should be able to meet testing requirements with ease.
5. Verify that they follow local, state, and federal regulations related to asbestos inspections and removal for demolition projects. For example, California regulations can be found here: https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/1529.html
6. Discuss their communication process, including how they will keep you updated on the progress of the survey and any findings during your project engagement.
7. Ask about their asbestos testing equipment and technology for accurate detection of the hazardous materials.
8. Consider their turnaround time for delivering the demolition survey report. Some asbestos testing companies like Adviro deliver in as little as 24 hours.
9. Compare prices and value from different surveyors in the SF Bay Area for asbestos surveys for demolition projects. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The cheapest price may be affordable, but they may also have additional hidden upcharges and longer wait times.
10. Choose a surveyor with excellent customer service, positive references, and a reputation for delivering high-quality surveys that comply with all applicable regulations. For example, on Yelp, Adviro has a 5-star rating plus a Whole Site Survey Guarantee. This Guarantee means if, during the course of demolition, any additional hidden suspect material was found, Adviro will come back out to do the sampling at no extra charge. In addition, the environmental testing company has numerous client case studies and testimonials on its website to verify the quality of its services.
We hope these 10 tips on how to choose an asbestos testing surveyor or technician help you make a wise decision when it comes to your residential or commercial project. If you have any questions, or need an asbestos survey yourself, please contact Adviro at (844) 607-9667.